Dr Clifford Wilson, Australian Archaeologist, Author, Academic and committed Christian worker died on the evening of Wednesday April 4, 2012 just a few weeks short of his 90th birthday.
Clifford Wilson was well known and much loved internationally, having contributed widely in Christian apologetics, academia, psycholinguistics, archaeology, Christian broadcasting, publishing and public speaking.
At the same time Clifford was cherished as a father, grandfather and great-granddad, with the ability to engage in encouraging conversation with people of all ages and walks of life.
He was truly a remarkable man with tireless energy and unbounded vision. He contributed above and beyond the call of duty, boldly stepping into issues where others shrank away.
And his many wonderful achievements would not have been possible without the capable and devoted support of his first wife, Avis, and his second wife, Barbara, who both preceded him in death.
Clifford’s achievements were listed at the Thanksgiving Service as:
* Naval Seaman during World War II
* Missionary to India (see comment added below with detail of his work there)
* First Regional Director of Emmaus Bible College (see comment below for a review of the early history of Emmaus and Clifford’s involvement)
* Hansard Reporter for the Fijian Government
* Pastoral service in Australia and USA
* Passionate supporter of Essendon Football Club (Aussie Rules Football)
* Lecturer at Emmaus Bible College, Melbourne Bible Institute (MBI), New Zealand Bible School, Collumbia Bible College, Pacific College of Graduate Studies, Toorak Teachers College and Monash University (among others)
* Named in America as an outstanding Educator of the Year
* Academic degrees in History, Education, Theology, Divinity and Psycholinguistics (B.A., M.A., B.D., M.R.Ed., Ph.D.)
* Founder of the Word of Truth Ministries and Pacific Ministries
* Radio Broadcaster in Australia, USA and internationally
* Founding President of Pacific College of Graduate Studies and Pacific International University
* Director of the Australian Institute of Archaeology
* Author of approximately 100 books
* Editor and Assistant Editor of New Life Christian Newspaper (Australia)
* Husband to Avis for 54 years
* Father to Bruce, Elaine, David and Lynnette and Father-in-law to Shirley, Alan, Debbie and Greg
* Grandfather to Darren, Debbie, Phil, Michelle, Ray, Bruce, Benj, Dee Dee, Marney, Jabin, Ryan, Brianna and Geordie
* Great grandfather to 23 children
* Husband to Barbara for 12 years
* Friend to ‘millions’
Dr Wilson, May 10 1923 – April 4 2012, was interred at a private burial on the morning of April 10, and a Thanksgiving Service followed at Canterbury Gardens Christian church that afternoon.
An article on the life of Barbara Wilson, who passed away in 2010, can be found at: http://chrisfieldblog.com/2010/06/03/barbara-wilson
Additional information about Clifford’s life can be found in the comments following this article.